When: Saturday, May 16, 2009. Meet at 8:00 am
Where: Piney Orchard Nature Preserve parking lot.
Driving Directions (from Annapolis):
- Take 50 to 97 West to 32 West to 170 South
- 170 crosses 175 and then turns into Piney Orchard Parkway
- After the circle, continue on P.O. Parkway past Bloom and past the ice rink (both on the left)
- Take the first left after the ice rink onto Sandy Walk Way and the first right into a small parking lot
- Look for Matt Korbelak there and call him at 41-903-5088 if you have any questions, delay, etc.
From the parking lot, we have a one mile walk (mostly dirt trail, some sidewalks) through the nature preserve to the Blue Heron nesting site. Wear appropriate footwear and clothing, bring bug spray, and any other gear you need for outdoor photography. There are NO facilities (toilets, water, etc) at this location. Dunkin Donuts, BP, and Bloom are available at the circle about a half mile from the parking lot.
Bring your long lens as the Herons are very skittish and the recommended distance is 200 meters.
After our photography, we'll go to Matt Korbelak's house (about a half mile from the parking lot) for breakfast.Colby